Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Smoking Spree

I am in my quest to stop smoking. Sheez! IM actually paying the effects of it right now. But you see I started smoking just last March. I think I am about to be a chain smoker but then I am having the thoughts of quitting right know. Is it just because I'm sick? Aaaargh. I started smoking out of curiosity. A single puff led to dozen ones. My barkada started smoking, too and it became a common activity for all of us since then. I smoke when I have nothing to do, when I get bored, when I have a lot of things troubling me.

I am trying to quit. God help me. =)

Example


Saw the following article in the net. hayy..share ko lang ahihihi

Health Effects of Smoking Among Young People

Among young people, the short-term health consequences of smoking include respiratory and non-respiratory effects, addiction to nicotine, and the associated risk of other drug use. Long-term health consequences of youth smoking are reinforced by the fact that most young people who smoke regularly continue to smoke throughout adulthood.

Image: BulletCigarette smokers have a lower level of lung function than those persons who have never smoked.

Image: BulletSmoking reduces the rate of lung growth.

Image: BulletIn adults, cigarette smoking causes heart disease and stroke. Studies have shown that early signs of these diseases can be found in adolescents who smoke.

Image: BulletSmoking hurts young people's physical fitness in terms of both performance and endurance---even among young people trained in competitive running.

Image: BulletOn average, someone who smokes a pack or more of cigarettes each day lives 7 years less than someone who never smoked.

Image: BulletThe resting heart rates of young adult smokers are two to three beats per minute faster than nonsmokers.1

Image: BulletSmoking at an early age increases the risk of lung cancer. For most smoking-related cancers, the risk rises as the individual continues to smoke.

Image: BulletTeenage smokers suffer from shortness of breath almost three times as often as teens who don't smoke, and produce phlegm more than twice as often as teens who don't smoke.

Image: BulletTeenage smokers are more likely to have seen a doctor or other health professionals for an emotional or psychological complaint.

Image: BulletTeens who smoke are three times more likely than nonsmokers to use alcohol, eight times more likely to use marijuana, and 22 times more likely to use cocaine. Smoking is associated with a host of other risky behaviors, such as fighting and engaging in unprotected sex.


1 Comments:

Blogger Lia Amanda said...

You can stop smoking if you want, too! :)

I was a smoker for 2 years, but then I found reasons WHY i should stop smoking which where 1) it worsened my migraine; and 2) it was bad for the skin! :P

Just find ur motives and you can quit! :)

I haven't smoked a stick for more than a year now!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home